Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Japan

Everything happened in less than a weeks time!

There I was trying to get a GMIX (Global Immersion Experience - A short 4 week internship in a country other than the US and my home country, India) in South Africa in a game reserve. That ofcourse would have been phenomenal if I had secured it, but then, what I managed to get is no less either!

So getting back to my story. There I was trying to figure out what to do for the last 4 weeks of my holidays - GMIX, backpacking, nation-hopping. Of course the secondary aspect was money..theoritically those 3 were my grand plans :D

Somehow..no, not somehow..by God's grace, things worked, and worked well, in a manner conducive to my needs - academic and otherwise - and I managed to land myself an internship with Sony Corp.'s PSBG group in Japan. Mind you, there are many un-sorted elements of this internship still pounding me, but then I am here and thats what matters for now!

So back to my story again..Thursday morning I got approval from all quarters - Sony Japan - Management and team, Sony Pictures USA - Management and HR. By afternoon I had to get my documents in order, book tickets and apply for a visa. I did all of that and then came the waiting and sorting period. Waiting for my visa while simulatenously sorting logistics of my stay in Tokyo and my winding up from LA. Come Tuesday I got my visa, come Wednesday I was supposed to fly out of LA!

Unlike the real myself I had packed most of my stuff well in advance on Friday itself and over the weekend (when I was supposed to drop some stuff off at anna's in SF) I even managed a trip to Yosemite! (Ofcourse this was the only option as anna and co were all going to Yosemite for the weekend). Anyways that done, back Monday I realize I am out of luggage space and need a big duffel bag or something for the rest of my stuff. Monday and Tuesday were so busy at work, not to mention laden with crucial meetings and a farewell dinner, that despite a visit to the local Target enroute to one of the meetings, I wasnt successful in finding myself a bag! Sup and Prav became my walky-talky GPSes and helped me locate the nearest Target and Walmart stores which I was supposed to visit first thing Wednesday morning to buy whatever they had to offer or say goodbye to some of my belongings!

Anyways Wednesday..8 I was in the nearest Target (managed to read reviews, select two target Targets (one for backup), note directions and drive all the way)..got whatever bag was available..drove back in rush hour traffic (reached 9.15)..dumped everything into my new bag..rushed to the car rental place(10.10)..the nice man there had agreed to give me a ride to the airport..exercised great restraint from urging my spanish speaking driver to whiz through traffic and signals..finally, slowly and steadily (my driver's style) reached the airport(10.45)..not bad time eh..but flight was at 1.15 and international flights i was told required me to check in 3 hrs before departure. With 2.5hrs left I was positive I will be sent back! Somehow I wasnt..one suitacase was over the limit by 6 kilos..the other was below limit by 4 kilos..i was checked in with a warning to be withing limits next time..meanwhile the man at the counter obligingly helped me get a last minute asian vegetarian meal option..coz it was only at the counter i realized i was flying Japan airlines and chances of a veggie meal were close to nil unless on prior request! Thankfully the sweet man didnt want me to starve on the plane, though secretly he might have thought that would do me some good. Got to the gate..got some dollars exchanged for yen..boarded the plane and whew! whew! whew! My first bit of relaxation in almost a week!

Uneventful plane journey..JAL TV options were boring, thankfully I had my Dan Brown to keep me company. Oh! Yes! The seat next to me was empty..wow! That meant extra room extra comfort, less clastrophobic :)

Reached Japan with my two mostrosities (suitcase and duffel bag)..apparently my plane landing timed exactly with a minor earthquake 4 to 5 Richter..maybe I should have starved on the plane. Anyways there I was in Tokyo at last..but then I realized I was asked to take the local train to my hotel in Tokyo and there was no way in hell I could get on and off two trains with my monstrosities!

Thankfully for me, and for a reason (taxis being unreasonably expensive), Tokyo airports have a luggage delivery system where for $20 to $50 depending on your destination the luggage will reach your apartment the next day. In comparison Taxi would have cost $250 to $300!

Thus, I started Tokyo experience. People here are super helpful..few speak fluent English, but mime and desperate gestures help convey messages. People are super polite and super rule abiding! Man! They are the ideal race! A lady at the final destination actually walked me 5min to my hotel, which was totally in the opposite direction to where she was headed, just because she couldnt give me directions in English! I was impressed and thankful of course!

The hotel room..simple, sparse, efficient, with every amenity needed..including slippers, bathrobe, toothbrush, paste and even disposable razors!! The highlight though was the toilet!! Yes..the toilet!! My first experience of an electronic toilet!! The toilet had an electric panel with a heater to heat the seat, a deodorizer and of course button-press-flush....but the highlight though was a water jet/spray to actually was your 'undersides' (or whatever you want to call it)..The facility has two options - jet and spray - to clean the respective part of your undersides depending on what you used the toilet for!! Cant get myself to be more elaborate than this..I apologize.

Man that toilet panel made me realize I had arrived at the gadget capital of the world!! Japan!! My visit to Akihabara the Electronics mecca, confirmed the same!!

Amazing country. Working here is a fantastic experience! Living and travelling are added priceless bonuses!

More on Japan to follow..

BTW..I forgot to mention..Monday, I attended my first ever live concert, Beyonce - from Destiny's Child, her birthday concert, for free, through Sony Music :) It was grand! :)

5 Comments:

Blogger kiran said...

hey,

congratualtions! i was randomly surfing when i stumbled on your blog...have a great time in Japan and do tkae the bullet train ride - an experience to be remembered!

write on abt Akihabara...:D

12:49 AM  
Blogger direkishore said...

Nice post! Will look forward to more of your Japan experience.

6:52 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, tory burch outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, louis vuitton, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, louis vuitton, prada outlet, chanel handbags, jordan shoes, christian louboutin, longchamp outlet, gucci handbags, tiffany jewelry, nike roshe, polo ralph lauren, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin pas cher, prada handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, ugg boots, sac longchamp pas cher, jordan pas cher, nike free, replica watches, michael kors pas cher, burberry pas cher, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, air max, louis vuitton outlet, nike free run, longchamp outlet, polo outlet, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, nike outlet, christian louboutin uk

5:34 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

hollister uk, michael kors outlet, sac vanessa bruno, nike blazer pas cher, nike air max uk, burberry handbags, new balance, michael kors, kate spade, oakley pas cher, nike air max, ray ban uk, guess pas cher, coach outlet, michael kors outlet online, nike roshe run uk, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, uggs outlet, true religion outlet, timberland pas cher, coach purses, nike air max uk, michael kors, nike air force, nike free uk, burberry outlet, sac hermes, coach outlet store online, nike tn, michael kors outlet online, vans pas cher, hollister pas cher, north face uk, abercrombie and fitch uk, ray ban pas cher, hogan outlet, replica handbags, polo lacoste, north face, ralph lauren uk, lululemon canada, mulberry uk, converse pas cher, true religion jeans, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet online

5:38 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

herve leger, gucci, bottega veneta, new balance shoes, louboutin, iphone cases, north face outlet, hollister clothing, vans outlet, nike roshe run, p90x workout, mac cosmetics, nike huaraches, longchamp uk, hollister, converse, babyliss, celine handbags, jimmy choo outlet, beats by dre, soccer jerseys, reebok outlet, chi flat iron, ferragamo shoes, giuseppe zanotti outlet, timberland boots, mont blanc pens, nike trainers uk, wedding dresses, asics running shoes, abercrombie and fitch, north face outlet, insanity workout, oakley, vans, baseball bats, soccer shoes, instyler, lululemon, valentino shoes, ray ban, nfl jerseys, hollister, nike air max, hermes belt, converse outlet, ralph lauren, nike air max, mcm handbags, ghd hair

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home